Help Is Here for You If you need help there are people who are ready to talk to you And Listen.


People You Trust

There are lots of people that a child can go to if they want help. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, older cousins, teachers, friends, doctors, and many others will all usually be more than happy to talk to you, to listen to what you have to say, and to try to help if they can.

Kids Help Phone

You can call this toll-free helpline anytime if you are worried or afraid or upset, or have a question that you don’t feel comfortable asking someone else. The phone line operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You don’t have to give your name, phone number, address, or any other personal information when you call Kids Help Phone.

Toll-free: 1-800-668-6868

Advocate for Children and Youth

If a child needs help with services or programs that the government provides, they can contact the Child and Youth Advocate’s Office of Newfoundland and Labrador. This office stands up for the rights of young people in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Telephone: (709) 753-3888
Toll-free: 1-877-753-3888


A police officer’s job is to help people during an emergency, to stop people from breaking the law, and to catch people who break the law. If you need to speak to a police officer, dial 911 where the service is available or dial 0 and ask to be connected to police.

Child, Youth and Family Services (Newfoundland & Labrador)

This government department receives and investigates reports of child abuse and neglect.

Department of Justice (Canada)

This federal department has a youth website on the topic of family violence.


Public Legal Information Association of NL

This is a group in Newfoundland and Labrador that provides information about the law to people of all ages, anywhere in the province. PLIAN has printed information and they do presentations about the law all over Newfoundland and Labrador. If you have general legal questions or want to speak to a lawyer, they have a telephone line that operates 9 AM – Noon, Monday to Friday. They can’t give legal advice but can provide general legal information and referrals to lawyers.

Telephone: (709) 722-2643
Toll-free: 1-888-660-7788

Family Justice Services (Newfoundland & Labrador)

This organization can help families with parent information sessions, mediation, and counselling. They do not give legal advice.

Mental Health Crisis Line

This is a 24 hour, 7 days a week provincial crisis service for people experiencing mental health problems. If you call you can talk to someone who is willing to listen.

Toll-free: 1-888-737-4668

Newfoundland and Labrador Legal Aid Commission

Legal Aid provides legal services to low income individuals in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Toll-free: 1-800-563-9911

Supreme Court of newfoundland and Labrador – Family Division

The website of the Court contains helpful family law information.

Provincial Court of Newfoundland and Labrador – Family Court

The website of the Court contains helpful family law information.

Transition House Association of NL

This organization’s website contains a listing of transition houses across the province, as well as other helpful information for families experiencing or who have experienced family violence.